Sunday, March 12, 2006

The Hills Have Eyes
It's been a while since I saw a real horror movie at a theater. Am still somewhat traumatized. keep in mind that the last thing I saw like The Hills Have Eyes was Saw 2, and that wasn't even meant to be scary.

Summary:
Family on a road trip is terrorized by disfigured savages (mutated products of government nuclear tests) in the New Mexico desert.

In one graphic five-minute sequence, there is a likable man burned alive, a young girl raped, and the young mother of a baby shot. Oh, and I left a killing out so you don't think I want to spoil it entirely for you.

This is, for me, a real horror movie. It's brutal, and bloody, and merciless. It's also hopeless and dark if you take it literally. If you don't, it's a cautionary tale about America, it's past and it's future. It's still dark when you see the obvious (hammered-home) metaphor. I didn't like it, but then I'm pretty sure it wasn't meant to be liked. It's done too well.

Ok, there are always you perverted assholes (I know a few of you) who will go to see a movie once they hear "rape-sequence". Let me burst your bubble: it's not in itself particularly graphic and it's only violent, nothing titillating.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,